Ethically made clothing
Indigo Clothing support the use of ethically made t-shirts and garments made in WRAP certified factories. WRAP is an independent board of directors and professional staff that independently monitor and evaluate all participating manufacturing facilities. This evaluation is based on 12 production principles involving hours of work, compensation and benefits, health and safety and the prohibition of child labour.
The Program’s objective is to independently monitor and certify compliance with these socially responsible global standards for manufacturing and ensure that sewn products are produced under lawful, humane and ethical conditions. Participating companies voluntarily agree that their production and that of their contractors will be certified by the WRAP CERTIFICATION PROGRAM as complying with these standards.
1. Compliance with Laws and Workplace Regulations
- Manufacturers of Sewn Products will comply with laws and regulations in all locations where they conduct business.
2. Prohibition of Forced Labour
- Manufacturers of Sewn Products will not use involuntary or forced labour – indentured, bonded or otherwise.
3. Prohibition of Child Labour
- Manufacturers of Sewn Products will not hire any employee under the age of 14, or under the age interfering with compulsory schooling, or under the minimum age established by law, whichever is greater.
4. Prohibition of Harassment or Abuse
- Manufacturers of Sewn Products will provide a work environment free of harassment, abuse or corporal punishment in any form.
5. Compensation and Benefits
- Manufacturers of Sewn Products will pay at least the minimum total compensation required by local law, including all mandated wages, allowances and benefits.
6. Hours of Work
- Manufacturers of Sewn Products will comply with hours worked each day, and days worked each week, shall not exceed the legal limitations of the countries in which sewn product is produced. Manufacturers of sewn product will provide at least one day off in every seven-day period, except as required to meet urgent business needs.
7. Prohibition of Discrimination
- Manufacturers of Sewn Products will employ, pay, promote, and terminate workers on the basis of their ability to do the job, rather than on the basis of personal characteristics or beliefs.
8. Health and Safety
- Manufacturers of Sewn Products will provide a safe and healthy work environment. Where residential housing is provided for workers, apparel manufacturers will provide safe and healthy housing.
9. Freedom of Association and Collective Bargaining
- Manufacturers of Sewn Products will recognize and respect the right of employees to exercise their lawful rights of free association and collective bargaining.
- Manufacturers of Sewn Products will comply with environmental rules, regulations and standards applicable to their operations, and will observe environmentally conscious practices in all locations where they operate.
11. Customs Compliance
- Manufacturers of Sewn Products will comply with applicable customs law and, in particular, will establish and maintain programs to comply with customs laws regarding illegal transhipment of apparel products.
- Manufacturers of Sewn Products will maintain facility security procedures to guard against the introduction of non-manifested cargo into outbound shipments (e.g. drugs, explosives, biohazards and/or contraband).
What you need to know
Wherever possible Indigo Clothing will use WRAP certified products to fulfil your order. If you have any queries concerning any of the products that we offer don’t hesitate to contact us.
- Apparel exports sector working to remove ‘child labour’ taint (traffickingnews.wordpress.com)
- Newsletter Fashion & Sustainability No. 8 | 14.5.2012 (starmanns1.wordpress.com)