It is a great charity and if you have not heard of it, here are some key facts you should know about them:
- Starlight Children’s Foundation is the leading charity in the UK, granting wishes of a lifetime to seriously and terminally ill children, and entertaining children with fun and laughter in every hospital and hospice throughout the UK.
- In its first year Starlight helped just 4 children. This year, Starlight will help 500,000 sick children throughout the UK.
- Starlight was founded in 1987 by Emma Samms (Fallon Colby from Dynasty). When Emma was growing up, her nine-year-old brother tragically died from aplastic anaemia. This understandably had a devastating effect on Emma and her family. Years later Emma helped a very ill boy fulfil his wish to visit Disneyland. She was deeply moved to see the positive effect the ‘wish’ had on the boy and his family.
- Starlight operates with very low fundraising costs, with 91p of every £1 donated helping Starlight’s very ill children.
- Starlight does not receive Government or Lottery funding and relies entirely on the generosity of the general public, companies and trust funds.
- Starlight celebrity ambassadors are Sienna Miller, Matthew Williamson, Bill Nighy, Keira Knightley, Dougray Scott, and Gemma Atkinson all of whom have shown great dedication to helping Starlight’s sick children. Starlight also receives huge celebrity support in granting wishes from people such as David and Victoria Beckham, Tom Chambers, Orlando Bloom, Sharon Osbourne and McFly – to name just a few.
To refer a seriously ill child to Starlight or to make a donation, simply log on to www.starlight.org.uk or call 020 7262 2881.